Disparate puntual (Precise Folly); plate from the "Disparates" (Follies) series, published in "L'Art", 1877
1815–17; printed 1877
Francisco Goya y Lucientes (Spanish, 1746–1828)
Harris 267, III; Delteil 0221; Gassier & Wilson 1602
Platemark: 24.4 x 35.4 cm (9 5/8 x 13 15/16 in.) Sheet: 30 x 43 cm (11 13/16 x 16 15/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Etching, aquatint, and tonal scratches, on laid paper; posthumous impression
Not On View
Black ink, clean-wiped. Bevel(slight)
Posthumous impression, printed by Francois Liénard, in “L’Art”, 1877 (H. III).
This plate and three others (H. 266 [a], 268 [c], and 269 [d]) became separated from the other “Disparates” and were never published in the early posthumous printing or the Academia printing of 1864 with the title “Los Proverbios”. They were instead published for the first time, with some trial proofs in various inks and papers, by the printer Francois Liénard, in the French magazine “L’Art” in 1877. The plates were never numbered or lettered, but titles were invented for the “L’Art” printing.
The preferred series title “Disparates” (Follies) is derived from manuscript titles containing the word “Disparate” on fourteen of the working proofs, of which this is one. Beruete and others invented titles containing “Disparate” for the others, except “Modo de Volar” (no. 13).
For first edition of 1877, in burin, l.l., "Goya. inv. et sc." /L' Art", b.c.
"UNA REINA DEL CIRCO/ (Une reine du Cirque)", l.r. "Fcois Lienard, Imp. Paris"
Verso: stamp in red of Henry F. Sewall (Lugt 1309); MFA / Harvey D. Parker stamp in purcple (Lugt 1870) with ledger number (19366) in ink.
Philippe Burty (1830-1890), Paris, stamp (Lugt 413) sale of April 27, 1876 by Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, lot 694, Henry F. Sewall (b. 1816–d. 1896), New York (Lugt 870); October 21, 1897, sold by Charles Sewall to the MFA. (Accession date: March 23, 2018)
Henry F. Sewall offered his collection to the MFA for purchase in 1888. That purchase was finalized and executed in 1897, one year after his death.
Harvey D. Parker Collection—Harvey Drury Parker Fund