Overall: 2.2 x 0.9 cm (7/8 x 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This djed pillar amulet is made of light, translucent carnelian with a high polish. It was broken in two pieces and mended.
The djed pillar symbolized the backbone of the funerary god Osiris and was the hieroglyphic symbol for stability.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way