DKR-2 ("Bikini " chair)
designed 1951; made 1951-53
Object Place: Zeeland, Michigan, United States
81.28 x 44.45 x 49.53 cm (32 x 17 1/2 x 19 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Painted steel wire, original leather upholstery
Not On View
Two-piece azure-colored leather upholstery. Grid-patterned bucket seat sets upon a wire base. Wire painted black. Note that “Rod” in the title of this model chair refers to the metal rods in the base; the chair could be purchased with a variety of different base structures. “Bikini” refers to the style of upholstery.
In the early 1940s, designers and newlyweds Charles and Ray Eames pioneered a production method to simultaneously bend plywood in more than one direction, using their homemade Kazam machine. With the DKR-2, the Eameses continued their efforts to design comfortable and affordable furniture using new industrial materials. This DKR-2 chair, with its original blue leather upholstery, is one of a pair donated to the Museum by the owners of a prototype house with modern furnishings that was featured in a 1954 issue of Better Homes and Gardens, a leading disseminator of home fashion.
This text was adapted from Ward, et al., MFA Highlights: American Decorative Arts & Sculpture (Boston, 2006) available at www.mfashop.com/mfa-publications.html.
Labels on underside:
Ink on paper
"State of New York / Department of Labor / 1c inspection stamp / Division of bedding 1 c"
Ink on cloth tag:
"Space to attach / Do not remove this tag / under penalty of law. / All new material / consisting of oily cattle body hair / Reg. no. CALWW 2097 PER. No. Comm-2700 / Reg. no. Cal-7053 Per. No. NY- 569 / Per. No. Pa-607 / Certification if / Made that the / materials in this / articles are De- / scribed in ac- / cordance with / law. / contents sterilized [visible under stamp] Minn. / approved April 24, 1929; New Jersey re- / vised STATUTES 26; 10- / 6 to 18. / Made by / HERMAN MILLER FURNITURE COMPANY / 901 W. Washington Blvd. Venice, California / date of delivery.
1953, purchased from McCurdy's Department Store, Rochester, New York by Roger and Doris Goodrich, Rochester, New York; 1985, given by the Goodriches, then of Squantum, Massachusetts to the MFA (Accession date: April 24, 1985)
Gift of Roger and Doris Goodrich
Used with permission. Herman Miller, Inc.® Eames®