Double herm with heads of Silenus and a maenad
Early Imperial Period, Augustan/Julio-Claudian
10 B.C.–A.D. 62
Findspot: Italy, Campania, Villa of the Contrada Bottaro, near Pompeii
Sculpture in Stone and Bronze (MFA), no. 041.
Height: about 89 cm (35 1/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Marble Scientific Analysis: Isotope ratios - delta13C +2.488 / delta18O -7.827, Attribution - Pentelikon.
Classical Roman Gallery (Gallery 213)
Herm shaft with back-to-back heads of Silenus and a maenad. Double herms were a creation of the imperial period and this example is one of four double herms found in the corners of the peristyle garden of the villa at Fondo Bottaro, one in each corner (see inv. nos. 1980.202-203, 1980.205).
The surfaces are worn. The damage seems to have resulted both from the weathering when the sculptures stood in the courtyard of the villa and from the rise of the water table after they were buried. Extensive evidence of ancient repairs suggests that the ensemble (1980.201-206) suffered in the earthquake of A.D. 62 and was reconstructed in the villa’s garden courtyard in time for the eruption of Vesuvius in August of 79.
Found May 13, 1902 during excavation by Gennaro Matrone of the villa of the Contrada Bottaro, located a half mile south of Pompeii; ownership granted to Gennaro Matrone by the Italian government; by 1916: the Cleveland Museum of Art Collection (inv. no. 16.895); purchased by MFA from the Cleveland Museum of Art, June 18, 1980
Classical Department Exchange Fund