Drinking cup (kylix)
about 525–500 B.C.
Place of Manufacture: Greece, Attica, Athens
CVA Boston 2, pl. 100, 1-4.
Height: 12.3 cm (4 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Ceramic, Black Figure
Ancient Greece: Dionysos & Symposium Gallery (Gallery 215B)
Between the large eyes, a satyr, stooping, lays hold of vine that fills the field.
Beneath each handle is a siren, and around the base of the bowl is a frieze of lions pursuing winged horses and a deer.
This “eye-cup” has the paired exterior eyes that give this type of kylix its name. The purpose of the eyes is not certain, but when the owner turned up the cup to drink, they would appear as substitutes for his own eyes, alert to any danger. Satyrs, the part-man, part-horse companions of Dionysos, are often shown cavorting among the grapes of their master’s vineyard.
By 1903: with Edward Perry Warren (according to Warren's records: Bought in London: from an old collection.); purchased by MFA from Edward Perry Warren, March 24, 1903
Francis Bartlett Donation of 1900