Drinking cup (kylix)
Late Archaic Period
Place of Manufacture: Greece, Attica, Athens; Findspot: Italy (said to have been found near), Lazio, Viterbo
Caskey-Beazley, Attic Vase Paintings (MFA), no. 079.
Height: 11.7 cm (4 5/8 in.) Diameter: 36.5 cm (14 3/8 in)
Medium or Technique
Ceramic, Red Figure
Not On View
On this large cup the interior tondo composition has two men dancing; one plays the double pipe. The other dances with his walking stick. A flute case hangs on the wall on the right. Inside the surrounding circle the inscription “Euphronios made [it]” (EUPHRONIOSEPIESEN) (in retrograde) and “The boy is pretty” (KALOSHOPAIS).
Exterior: Procession (komos) of eleven men intoxicated, dancing and staggering. On both sides above the figures is the inscription “Panaitios is pretty” (PANAITIOS KALOS) (on side A the inscription is in retrograde).
Side A: The man in the middle holds a large wine cup (kylix), the second from the left plays the double pipes with a small dog sniffing at his feet, and the one on the far right holds a deep cup (skyphos).
Side B: The men dance, holding walking sticks and are either nude or wearing cloaks across their shoulders. The one third from the right is nude and holds a lyre (barbiton), and a deep cup (skyphos). Under one handle is a small dog, under the other handle is a wine storage vessel (amphora), which has been tipped over on its side. Inscribed on the vessel is ‘[hop]ais.’
"Euphronios made [it]" (EUPHRONIOS EPOIESEN)
"Panaitios is pretty" (PANAITIOS KALOS) (twice)
"The boy is prettey" (KALOS HO PAIS)
Right of right man’s forehead:
A: (retrograde) ΠΑΝΑΙΤΙΟΣ
B: ΠΑΝΑΙΤΙΟS ΚΑLΟS
On pointed amphora:
"Euphronios made [it]" (EUPHRONIOS EPOPIESEN)
According to Gerhard (Bull. 1830, p. 233) the vase was found by Pietro Saveri in a property of his, three miles from Viterbo; date unknown: acquired from the dealer De Dominicis by the Rev. J. and Mrs. [Elizabeth Caroline] Hamilton Gray; from 1855 to 1887: deposited with the Hamilton Gray collection in the Museum of Bethnal Green, London; 1887: acquired by A. van Branteghem; 1892: Hotel Drouot auction of van Branteghem Collection, May 30-31 and June 1, Paris, no. 52; purchased at the van Branteghem auction by Edward Perry Warren; 1895: purchased by MFA from Edward Perry Warren for $ 29,857.37 (this figure is the total price for MFA 95.9-95.174)
Catharine Page Perkins Fund