Escritorio (writing desk)
Object Place: Villa Alta de San Ildefonso, Oaxaca, Mexico
Overall (Writing desk): 63.1 x 105 x 45.1 cm (24 13/16 x 41 5/16 x 17 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Linaloe, granadillo, Spanish cedar, with marquetry and zulaque-filled engraving
William J. Fitzgerald Gallery (Gallery 135)
Thought to have been owned originally by Don Fernando Luis Altamirano de Velasco Legazpi y Albornoz, third count of Santiago de Calimaya, who served as alcalde mayor (mayor) of Villa Alta de San Ildefonso in 1671–2. By 1970, private collection, France ; 2007, anonymous (private collection) sale, Thierry de Maigret, Paris, 13 June 2007, lot 154, to Alexander di Carcaci Ltd; 2008, sold by Alexander di Carcaci Ltd, London, to Carlton Hobbs LLC, London; 2010, sold by Carlton Hobbs LLC, New York, to the MFA.
 Letter from Thierry de Maigret, Paris, 29 January 2010, states that the desk was in France by at least 1970, in the possession of a family residing in the Paris region.
Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously, William Francis Warden Fund, American Decorative Arts Deaccession Fund, Arthur Tracy Cabot Fund, Edwin E. Jack Fund, and by exchange from a Gift of Harold Whitworth Pierce, Gift of Miss Ellen Graves, Mr. Samuel Cabot and Mrs. Roger Ernst in memory of their father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Edmund P. Graves, Gift of Mary W. Bartol, John W. Bartol, and Abigail W. Clark, William E. Nickerson Fund, Gift of Mrs. Henry Lyman, Bequest of Barbara Boylston Bean, Charles Amos Cummings Fund, Gift of Mrs. Charles L. Bybee, Bequest of Dudley Leavitt Pickman, Gift of Henry G. E. Payson, and from funds donated by Mrs. Walter Hunnewell in memory of Walter Hunnewell