Object Place: Venice (?), Italy
Guard: 30 cm (11 13/16 in.); maximum open: 53 cm (20 7/8 in.); arc: 130°
Medium or Technique
Double paper leaf painted in gouache; ivory sticks, lacquered and gilded; mother-of-pearl
Ann and Graham Gund Gallery (Gallery LG31)
Obverse: pastoral scene with seven large figures, decorative border with gilt details and small medallions of townscapes top center and corners (“Rinaldo in the garden of Armida,” from Torquato Tasso’s “Gerusalemme Liberata” (1581)). Reverse: scene of four large birds, decorative border with gilt details. Carved and pierced ivory sticks: obverse: Vernis Martin and relief chinoiserie motifs on blades; relief woman, painted details on guard; reverse: obverse scene outlined in blue, red and black on blades; relief man and painted details on guard. Mother-of-pearl at head and base of guards, buttons on rivet.
1976, gift of Esther Oldham (b. 1900 - d. 1984), Wellesley, MA, to the MFA. (Accession Date: June 9, 1976)