Female votive statuette holding a dove
about 575 B.C.
Findspot: Egypt, Naukratis, Temple of Aphrodite
Sculpture in Stone (MFA), no. 411.
Overall: 22.5 x 24.5 x 11.5 cm (8 7/8 x 9 5/8 x 4 1/2 in.) Other (Height with pin): 26.3 cm (10 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The lady (priestess, or even Aphrodite herself?) has three groups of braided tresses falling on her shoulders either side of her neck. There are also the ends of five braids on the back of the body, at the shouders. Her jewelry comprises a choker with a pin or stone pendant in the center and a necklace of beads with a pendant also in the center, aligned directly below the “tassels” of the choker. She wore a long garment and a mantle around her upper body, its folds being visible under the right arm. Her left arm was at her side. Her right hand holds a dove, an offering to Aphrodite, against her mantle below the breasts.
This type of votive is also found in Cypriot sanctuaries of Aphrodite.
The fragment is broken across the neck and through the body; part of the left arm is also missing.
From Naukratis, Temple of Aphrodite. 1886-7: excavated by William Matthew Flinders Petrie for the Egypt Exploration Fund, assigned to the EEF by the Egyptian government; December 22, 1887, presented to the MFA by the EEF. (Accession date: 1888).
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription