Object Place: Germany
Length 62 cm, width 19.2 cm (Length 24 7/16 in., width 7 9/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Elongated body with incurved sides and flat back. Belly of soft pine highly arched, formed by a part of cylindrical surface with rectilinear generator. Ribs of maple, formed of four pieces, shallow in the upper part and wide in the lower part. Two narrow parallel rectangular slits on the belly serve as sound-holes; in the upper part of the belly a crude rosette, partly covered by finger-board. Neck of oak, integral with leaf-shaped peg- board. Finger-board of maple. The bottom joint of lower bouts reinforced by thin rectangular strip fastened by two button-headed pins; the pin close to belly serving as a tail-pin for tail-piece, three gut strings, movable bridge, nut. Tuning pegs of sagittal posterior type with arrow-shaped heads; strings fastened in front. Sound-post, no bass-bar. Edges of belly, sound-slits, and rosette are embellished with zig-zag and dot pattern burned in wood.
Francis W. Galpin (1858-1945), Hatfield Regis, England; 1916, sold by Francis W. Galpin to William Lindsey (1858-1922), Boston, Massachusetts; 1916, gift of William Lindsey, in memory of his daughter, Leslie Lindsey Mason, to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 5, 1916)
Leslie Lindsey Mason Collection