Figurine of a lion
about 520 B.C.
Greek, Etruscan, & Roman Bronzes (MFA), no. 218; Sculpture in Stone and Bronze (MFA), p. 122 (additional published references).
Height: 7.6 cm (3 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The mane of the lion is unchiselled, and the musculature is schematic. The plinth has a square projection beneath, where it is pierced by a large round hole. The tail is broken off and missing. Brown-green patina.
By 1886: Niccolò La Ferlita (according to A. dell'Agli, Ricerche Storiche su Giarratana, 1886, pp. 7-8 and pl. II, 2, excavated from Monte Lauro, near Giarratana, Sicily, within the last century by Baron [Gabriele] Iudica). By 1901, bought in Palermo by Edward Perry Warren (according to Warren's records: Bought in Palermo); purchased by the MFA from Edward Perry Warren, December 1901.
Museum purchase with funds donated by contribution