German (probably Nuremberg)
Probably by C. W. Fleischmann (German, working in Nuremberg, about 1860–1880)
Legacy dimension: H. 11" Diameter mouth 3 1/2" base 5 1/2"
Medium or Technique
Lead-glazed earthenware (Hafner ware)
Not On View
Tapering cylindrical body with slightly crooked scroll handle (holes at top) on upper half, affixed below molded rim. Mottled blue glaze, green rim and applied intricate leaf pattern at base and wreath on front. Latter encloses polychrome arms of Nuremberg under eagle of Holy Roman Empire, with H B S interspersed in brown. Trace of blue on unglazed bottom. Turning ridges in brownish interior.
1958, Marie Therese Delhez-Brassinne, Liège, Belgium. 1958, sold by Delhez-Brassinne to the MFA for $140.00. (Accession Date: September 18, 1958)
Arthur Mason Knapp Fund