Fragment of a column with inscription of King Mentuhotep II
Middle Kingdom, Dynasty 11, reign of Mentuhotep II
Findspot: Egypt, Thebes, Deir el-Bahri, Temple of Mentuhotep II
Height x width: 47.5 x 23.5 cm (18 11/16 x 9 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Once part of a hexagonal column, this fragment is inscribed with the cartouche of Mentuhotep II, who is called “the son of Ra”, one of the king’s official titles. Blue paint remains in the hieroglyphs.
From Thebes, Deir el-Bahri, temple of Mentuhotep II. 1907: excavated by by Edouard Naville for the Egypt Exploration Fund; assigned to the EEF in the division of finds by the Egyptian government; voted to the MFA at EEF general meeting.
(Accession date: Occtober 10, 1907)
Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription