Franco van Langhel and His Sons with Saint John the Evangelist (outer face); Peter van Os with Saint Peter (inner face)

1496–1500
Workshop of Hieronymus Bosch (Netherlandish, active by 1480, died in 1516)


Dimensions

79.4 x 35.9 cm (31 1/4 x 14 1/8 in.)

Accession Number

56.171.1a-b

Medium or Technique

Oil on panel

On View

William A. Coolidge Gallery (Gallery 243A)

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Paintings

Provenance

About 1496/1500, commissioned by Peter van Os (b. before 1467), 's Hertogenbosch [see note 1]. 1888, Frederick William Harris (b. 1833 - d. 1917), Coombe House, Croydon and Gracechurch Street, London [see note 2]; July 21, 1888, anonymous (consigned by F. W. Harris) sale, Christie, Manson and Woods, London, lot 78, sold for £19.19 to "White," possibly Henry White, London [see note 3]; to Charles Holden White (b. 1869 - d. 1948); London; November 26, 1948, Holden White estate sale, Christie's, London, lot 36, to Gerald Kerin (dealer), London, for £682.10. By 1951, Arthur Kauffmann (dealer), London, probably in partnership with Cassirer Gallery, London [see note 4]; 1956, gift of Kauffmann to the MFA. (Accession Date: March 8, 1956)

NOTES:
[1] This was the wing of a triptych; for related panels see MFA object nos. 53.2027, 56.171.2a-b, and 56.172. For a discussion of the patronage and iconography, see G.C.M. van Dijck, "Peter van Os ontmaskerd," De Brabantse Leeuw 47, no. 2 (1998): 116-124.

[2] Harris consigned the triptych to Christie's in 1888. An old, now largely illegible label on the reverse of the central panel bears his name and his address at Coombe House.

[3] Sold as a work by the Early Flemish school, described as "A triptych, with Ecce Homo in the centre, and saints and donors on the wings". The triptych was sold in 1948 by the estate of Charles Holden White, and was probably purchased in 1888 not by him but by a family member. His parents were Henry White and Eleanor D'Ouchy Holden White of London.

[4] Correspondence from MFA curator Hanns Swarzenski to Arthur Kauffmann in the curatorial files indicates that Grete Ring (of the London branch of Cassirer) had also been offering the panels for sale. Ring had moved in with Arthur and Tamara Kauffmann in London; see Christina Feilchenfeldt, "The Paul Cassirer Gallery (1933-1945), Berlin-Amsterdam-London," in Echoes of Exile: Moscow Archives and the Arts in Paris, 1933-1945, ed. I. Rotermund-Reynard (Berlin, 2015), 134-136.

Credit Line

Gift of Arthur Kauffmann