about A.D. 14–62
Findspot: Italy, Campania, near Pompeii, Villa of the Contrada Bottaro
Height: 1.907 m. width 1.465 m.
Medium or Technique
Classical Roman Gallery (Gallery 213)
This panel comes from the north wall of peristyle of house south of Pompeii on the ancient shore of the Gulf of Naples. The panel has a yellow ground with deep red in lower central portion within the architectural frame. Vertical and horizontal bands are colored in green while the window opening is done in an off-white color. Gold candelabrum are shown in the front of center wall, extending above. A framework structure can be seen through the opening.
1901/1902, excavated by Gennaro Matrone (d. 1927) in the peristyle of the Contrada Bottaro Villa, about a half-mile south of Pompeii; ownership granted by the Italian State to Gennaro Matrone. Between October 1925 and March 1926, sold by Prof. U. Marcellini (dealer), Naples, to Brummer Gallery, New York (stock no. P2577); May 25, 1927, sold by Brummer to William Randolph Hearst (b. 1863 – d. 1951), New York; December 30, 1929, returned by Hearst to Brummer Gallery; 1933, sold by Brummer Gallery to the MFA for $15,115 [see note]. (Accession Date: June 1, 1933)
NOTE: Eleven frescoes (MFA accession nos. 33.496 – 33.506) were purchased by the MFA for this amount. They were part of a lot of 53 frescoes that had been acquired by Brummer Gallery, sold en bloc to Hearst, and were returned before being sold to the MFA.
Ellen Frances Mason Fund