Fulham, Sur La Tamise
Le Village de Fulham
1859 and later
Sir Francis Seymour Haden (English, 1818–1910)
Harrington (1910) 19, second; Schneiderman (1983) 22, XII
Platemark: 11.2 × 28 cm (4 7/16 × 11 in.) Sheet: 14.8 × 30.1 cm (5 13/16 × 11 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Etching and drypoint
Not On View
The Thames and buildings on the opposite bank are depicted; on the near bank there are three poplars at the left. Activity on the Thames.
“A shadow of etched oblique lines covers Star and part of the building facade. Line work on tree trunk at extreme left removed and trunk relatively clear of work, though the base is still blotchy. Faint, sketchy shading, between this tree and other poplars on left, which crosses background buildings. The huts at river’s edge have almost disappeared, and most drypoint work is without burr.” A footnote states: “Careful study of this Fulham with the Fulham in states VII and VIII, especially the letters “F” and “a”, shows that it has been redrawn.”
Schneiderman, pp. 79-81.
In plate: l.r. Fulham SH; on sheet: l.r. Seymour Haden
On sheet l.r. Seymour Haden
Bequest of Lee M. Friedman - acquisition dated February 15, 1958
Bequest of Lee M. Friedman