Funerary brick of Paser
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18, reign of Amenhotep II
Object Place: Egypt, Thebes (Sheikh Abd el-Qurna), Likely from tomb 367
Davies & MacAdam 230
Length x width x diameter: 18 x 17 x 5.5 cm (7 1/16 x 6 11/16 x 2 3/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary brick fragment possibly employed in similar manner as funerary cones. One side carries three identical circular stamped impressions; the opposite side, with a large fragment broken away, has two. Impressions show varying degrees of clarity. Each impression shows three columns of divided hieroglyphic text. Text identifies the owner as “Chief Retainer, Chief Bowman, Page Paser, True-of-Voice” (Hry Smsw Hry PDty Xrd-n-kAp pa-sr mAa xrw).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk. However, the appearance of stamped impressions on two sides of this brick fragment may suggest placement separate from such friezes. The stamping of bricks with the name of a (royal or private) owner occurred in various periods of ancient Egyptian history.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #230.
Probably from tomb 367, Sheikh Abd el-Qurna (Thebes). By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way