Funerary cone Amenemopet
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Object Place: Egypt, Possibly Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga)
Davies & MacAdam 304
Height x diameter: 6 x 7.6 cm (2 3/8 x 3 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay; much of tapering cone element broken of and missing; ample traces of red paint. Circular stamp on the head identifies the owner as “Captain of Bowmen, Overseer of Hunters Amenemopet” (Hry-pDt imy-r nww Imn-m-ipt).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #304.
Probably from Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga). By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way