Funerary cone of Amenemhat and Satamen
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18
Davies & MacAdam 110
Height x diameter: 5.7 x 6.6 cm (2 1/4 x 2 5/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of red clay. Tapering cone element broken off and missing. Head end has circular stamp with hieroglyphic text arranged in four divided columns.
Translation of text:
(and) his wife, Lady of the House Sat-Amen,
True-of-Voice with the great god.”
Hm.f nbt-pr SA.t-Imn
mAa.t xrw xr nTr aA
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of this tomb owner see: Res.72.303; Res.72.305; Res.72.280; 72.1782; 72.1807, 72.1809.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #110.
Probably from tomb A.1, Dra Abu el-Naga. By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way