Funerary cone of Amenemopet
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 186
Height x diameter:3.1 x 8.6 cm (1 1/4 x 3 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of pinkish-buff clay with tapering cone element broken off and missing. Circular stamp on head with three columns of hieroglyphic text identifying the owner. Lower half of stamped impression somewhat worn.
Translation of text:
True-of-Voice with Osiris”
mAa xrw xr Wsir
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #186.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way