Funerary cone of Amenhotep
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 594
Height x diameter: 5.7 x 6.6 cm (2 1/4 x 2 5/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay; majority of tapering cone element broaken off and missing. Circular stamp on head has roughly 30% of space occupied by a kneeling figure with arms raised in a posture of adoration; five columns of hieroglyphic text occupy the remaining space and identify the owner. Stamp impression somewhat worn, but otherwise mostly intact.
Translation of text (from right):
“May he rise/shine
in the horizon. Scribe of Offerings of Amen of the King of Lower Egypt (?)
Amenhotep, True-of-Voice with
m Axt sS-wDHw-bity(?) n Imn Imn-
Htp mAa xrw xr
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #594.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way