Funerary cone of Amenhotep

Egyptian
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
1550–1070 B.C.


Catalogue Raisonné

Davies & MacAdam 27

Dimensions

Length x diameter: 11.7 x 8.6 cm (4 5/8 x 3 3/8 in.)

Accession Number

RES.72.294

Medium or Technique

Pottery

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Architectural elements

Funerary cone of reddish clay with tapering cone element broken off. Head end carries a stamp (faint at lower extent) with five divided columns of hieroglyphic text. Three central columns of text proper identify the owner as “Page of Amen, Amenhotep, begotten by the First Prophet of Hathor, Mistress of Thebes(?) Amenemhat.” These columns flanked on each side by smaller columns which read “True-of-Voice.”

Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.

Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #27.

Provenance

By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way