Funerary cone of Amenhotep
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18
Object Place: Egypt, Likely from Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga)
Davies & MacAdam 210
Height x diameter.: 5.1 x 8.3 cm (2 x 3 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with tapering cone element broken off and missing. Head end carries a circular stamp with three divided columns of hieroglyphic text (somewhat off-centered, but whole text known from parallels) to identify the owner as “The Osiris Steward of Amen, High Priest of (Queen) Nefertari, Steward Amenhotep, True-of-Voice” (Wsir imy-r pr n Imn Hm-nTr tpy n nfri-try imy-r pr Imn-Htp mAa xrw).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #210.
Probably from Dra Abu el-Naga. By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way