Funerary cone of Amenhotep
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Object Place: Egypt, Likely from Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga)
Davies & MacAdam 151
Length x width x diameter: 12.3 x 6.8 x 7 cm (4 13/16 x 2 11/16 x 2 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Fragment of a brick employed as a funerary cone, fashioned of reddish clay. One side retains faint traces of red paint and two identical circular stamped impressions of hieroglyphic text. The text is arranged in an undivided field and identifies the owner as “One Honored by Osiris, Acolyte of Amen of the 4th phyle Amenhotep, True-of-Voice” (imAxy xr Wsir imy-st-a n Imn Hr sA 4-nw Imn-Htp mAa xrw). One corner broken away, taking a portion of one impression with it.
Funerary cones (and objects employed similarly) were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible, customarily circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of this tomb owner see: Res.72.325; Res.72.326; Res.72.327; Res.72.328; Res.72.330; 72.1812; 72.1813.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #151.
Probably from Dra Abu el-Naga (Thebes). By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way