Funerary cone of Denreg
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 45
Height x diameter: 4.1 x 8.6 cm (1 5/8 x 3 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with majority of tapering cone element missing; traces of red paint. Circular stamp on head carries four columns of hieroglyphic text identifying the owner.
Translation of text:
by Osiris, Chief Wab-priest
xr Wsir wab-Hry
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #45.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way