Funerary cone of Djeser-ka
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 559
Height x diameter: 3.2 x 7 cm (1 1/4 x 2 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Two joining funerary cone fragments of reddish clay with tapering cone element broken off. Head end carries a stamp with three horizontal lines of hieroglyphic text with dividing lines. Text identifies the owner as “Scribe of Grain Accounting of Amen, Djeser-ka” (sS Hsb-it n Imn Dsr-kA). Impression slightly worn. Chip missing from left side of impression.
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of same stamp & owner see: Res. 72.267, Res.72.268, Res.72.269, Res.72.270, Res.72.271, Res.72.272, Res.72.274, Res.72.275, Res.72.276, Res.72.277, Res.72.1767, 72.1767.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #559.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way