Funerary cone of Hapuseneb
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 517
Height x diameter: 14 x 7.5 cm (5 1/2 x 2 15/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with majority of tapering cone element missing; traces of red paint. Circular stamp on head shows three horizontal registers of hieroglyphic text that identify the owner. Fragment broken from head, including very small portion of first register of text.
Translation of text:
“Hereditary Noble, Mayor,
Royal Seal-bearer, High Priest of Amen,
xtmt(y)-bity Hm-nTr tpy n Imn
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other cones of this tomb owner see: Res.72.299; 72.1777.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #517.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way