Funerary cone of Hekanefer
New Kingdom, possibly Dynasty 18
Davies & MacAdam 393
Length x diameter: 15.5 x 8.3 cm (6 1/8 x 3 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with cone element partially intact. Slight traces of red paint. Head carries a circular stamp with hieroglyphic text arranged in five horizontal registers. Owners are identified as the “Overseer of Wab-priests of Amen of the Royal Ka of MenKheperre, in the offering chamber(?) Hekanefer (and) his wife, his beloved Tadedes… .”
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type ##393.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way