Funerary cone of Hekanefer and Mutnefer
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 381
Height x diameter: 6.3 x 6.3 cm (2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with majority of tapering cone element broken off and missing; traces of a red paint/wash. Head impressed with circular stamp with four horizontal registers of hieroglyphic text identifying the owner. Fragment missing from lower portion of head, including small smount of stamped impression.
Translation of text:
“Words spoken by Osiris-Foremost-of-Westerners
before the temple of Hathor on the (first?) occasion of the great gods
of the divine West which is in the necropolis for the ka of […..]
the High Priest of Osiris, Hekanefer (and)
his sister Lady of the House Mutnefer,
Dd mdw Wsir-xnty-Imnti[yw]
xnty Hwt-nTr (n) Hwt-Hr Hry-tp sp nTrw aA[w]
Imntt nTryt imi Xrt-nTr n.kA.n […..]
Hm-nTr tpy Wsir HkA-nfr
Snt.f nb.t-pr Mwt (?)-nfr
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #381.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way