Funerary cone of Huy
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 65
Height x diameter: 8.9 x 7.4 cm (3 1/2 x 2 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of reddish clay, tapering cone element broken off and missing; traces of red paint. Head end carries a stamp with four columns of hieroglyphic text with dividing lines. Text identifies the owner as “One Honored by Osiris, Royal Scribe Huy of the temple which is in the City(?), True-of-Voice.”
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #65.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way