Funerary cone of Nebwer
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 171
Height x diameter: 3.9 x 6.9 cm (1 9/16 x 2 11/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of pinkish-buff clay with tapering cone element broken off and missing; traces of white priming and red paint. Circular stamp on head has three columns of hieroglyphic text (stamp impression worn) identifying the owner.
Translation of text:
“One honored with
Osiris, Guard of the House of the High Priest of
Amen, Nebwer, True-of-Voice”
Wsir sAwty-pr n Hm.f tpy n
Imn nb-wr mAa xrw
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #171.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way