Funerary cone of Neferhotep
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18
Davies & MacAdam 301
Length x diameter: 26.5 x 6 cm (10 7/16 x 2 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of reddish clay with tapering cone element intact. Circular stamp on head with hieroglyphic text in undivided register to identify the owner. The text reads: “Fourth Prophet of Amen, Neferhotep, True-of-Voice” (Hm-nTr 4-nw n Imn nfr-Htp mAa xrw).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other cones of this tomb owner see: Res.72.340; 72.1816; 72.1817; 72.1818; 72.1819.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #301.
Probably from Sheikh Abd el-Qurna (Thebes). By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way