Funerary cone of Neferhotep and Amenhotep
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 302
Height x diameter: 4.8 x 8.3 cm (1 7/8 x 3 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment tapering cone element broken off and missing. Circular stamp impression on head with an undivided register, identifying owners: “Fourth Prophet of Amen, Neferhotep and his wife, Lady of the House Amenhotep.” (Hm-ntr 4-nw n Imn Nfr-Htp MAa-xrw Hm.f Hmt nbt-pr Imn-Htp). Head chipped at bottom and right portions of stamp, including a small part of the text at right.
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of this tomb owner see: Res.72.260; Res.72.1762; 72.262; 72.1761; 72.1762.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #302.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way