Funerary cone of Neferhotep and Meryre
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 291
Height x diameter: 4.1 x 7 cm (1 5/8 x 2 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of reddish clay with tapering cone element broken off and missing. Possible slight traces of a red wash on head, which also carries a rectangular stamp, somewhat indistinct in some sections and slightly distorted at bottom left, with two divided columns of hieroglyphic text. The owners are named by the text as “the Osiris, Chief Scribe of Amen, Neferhotep, True-of-Voice (and) his sister Lady of the House Meryre, True-of-Voice” (Wsir sS wr n Imn nfr-Htp mAa xrw snt.f nb(.t) pr mry-Ra mAa xrw).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of the same owners and stamp see: Res.72.341; Res.72.342; Res.72.343; Res.72.344; Res.72.345; Res.72.346; Res.72.347; Res.72.348; Res.72.349; 72.1820; 72.1821; 72.1822.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #291.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way