Funerary cone of Penamen
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 341
Length: 16.5 cm (6 1/2 in.) Width x length: (head) 3.5 x 6 cm (1 3/8 x 2 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of reddish clay, wedge-shaped proportions. Tapering cone element largely intact. Ovoid head end carries stamped hieroglyphic text, somewhat indistict in sections, identifying the owner as “Page Penamen” (Xrd n kAp pn-Imn). Potential alternate reading: “Page of Amen” (Xrd n kAp n Imn). Small fragment broken from lower right area of the head.
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #341
Possibly from Sheikh Abd el-Qurna. By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way