Marked by Adriaen Kocks, Dutch, Proprietor, The Greek A Factory (active 1686–1701)
Overall height: 25 cm (9 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Tin-glazed earthenware, pewter
Art of the Netherlands in the 17th Century Gallery (Gallery 242)
Square bottle with tapered neck, fitted with pewter threaded cover with hinged handle. Front decorated with the arms of the counts of Zinzendorf-Pottendorf and landscape vignettes above and below. Other three sides decorated with pairs of figures in landscapes. Band of interlaced scrollwork around base.
Labels on underside: "Collection G. Ephis / DEL 068"
"Dr. Gunther Grethe Collection"
"Aronson Antiquairs Amsterdam"
Marked " 3 / AK / 15" in underglaze blue
About 1689/1695, commissioned by a member of the Zinzendorf family, Austria. Günter Grethe, Hamburg; sold from the Günther Grethe collection to Aronson Antiquairs (dealer), Amsterdam; 2004, sold by Aronson to the G. Ephis collection (private collector), France; 2012, sold by the G. Ephis collection to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 24, 2012).
The G. Ephis Collection—Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously, Charles Bain Hoyt Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, Mary S. and Edward J. Holmes Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, Tamara Petrosian Davis Sculpture Fund, John Lowell Gardner Fund, Seth K. Sweetser Fund, H. E. Bolles Fund, and funds by exchange from the Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection-Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger