Guitar

about 1840
Martin & Coupa (American, active about 1840–1850)


Object Place: Nazareth, Pennsylvania, United States

Dimensions

Length 92.6 cm, width 29 cm (Length 36 7/16 in., width 11 7/16 in.)

Accession Number

2003.342

Medium or Technique

Rosewood, spruce, ebony, ivory, brass, mother-of-pearl, nickel silver, sheep gut, silver, abalone, steel

On View

David and Stacey Goel Gallery (Gallery 239)

Collections

Americas, Musical Instruments

Classifications

Chordophones

Two-piece back and ribs of rosewood. Belly of fine-grain spruce. Binding of ivory around edges of back and belly. Purfling of pearl diamonds set in black mastic around edges of belly and soundhole. Purfling of alternating dark and light wood in herringbone pattern along upper and lower edges of ribs. Purfling of alternating dark and light wood squares around edges of back. Neck and headstock of hardwood veneered with ebony; sides of headstock veneered with ivory. Neck angle adjustable with watch-key screw at heel. Tuning machines of iron and brass; back of headstock covered by plate of brass engraved with floral designs. Nut and fingerboard of ivory with eighteeen frets of nickel silver. Bridge of ivory with decorative lobe inlaid with abalone. Bridge pins of ebony. Internal construction: three lateral braces on back; two lateral braces on belly (one above soundhole) plus two angled braces in V pattern. Original case of yellow poplar with no extant lining.

Inscription

Printed label: MARTIN & COUPA / Guitar Manufacturers / 385 Broadway / Up Stairs / NEW YORK / [Have] always on hand the largest assortment of Guitars / [that can] be found in the United States

Provenance

By the early 1990s, sold at a guitar show, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Fred Oster, Philadelphia; 2003, sold by Oster to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 17, 2003)

Credit Line

Museum purchase with funds donated by William and Deborah Elfers