Object Place: Europe, Cologne, Germany
Diameter: 6.8 cm (2 11/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Champlevé enamel and gilding on copper
Not On View
Circular plaque with beaded edge (arch cut from bottom); three pinholes. Hammered, tooled, champlevé, enameled, and gilded. Enamel colors are lapis blue (two shades), turquoise (two shades), green (two shades), white, yellow, and pale mauve in mixed fields of up to three colors. A large schematized blossom against gold ground emanates from the blue and white border. Four large curled leaves with scalloped borders are two shades of lapis blue with white edges. Those on the bottom contain berries in two shades of green. The same shades and yellow are used for the four flat scalloped leaves. Pointed leaves in the center are two shades of turquoise and all but the one at the bottom have a blue center. The central arch and two pointed leaves on the top are light mauve. On the reverse are an engraved hand with extended finger, a grid pattern (for this mark (reversed) see Rosenberg, 1928, vol. 3 p. 309, no. 4541) and assembly marks “EVI III”(the latter may be modern).
About 1183, possibly the Shrine of Saint Anno, Saint Michael's Abbey, Siegburg, Germany (original commission); about 1901-1902, removed from the shrine by Paul Beumers, Düsseldorf [see note 1]. 1939, Geladakis, Paris; August 21, 1939, sold by Geladakis to the Brummer Gallery, New York (stock no. P16053); 1947, sold by Brummer to the MFA for $1500. (Accession Date: November 13, 1947)
 See Hanns Swarzenski and Nancy Netzer, "Medieval Objects in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Enamels and Glass" (Boston, 1980), p. 62, cat. no. 14. The shrine was moved to the Treasury of Saint Servatius in the 19th century. Beumers restored several of the shrines in the Treasury in 1901-1902 and probably removed it at that time.
1941 Purchase Fund