Human head effigy
Chiriquí or Parita
Object Place: Panama, Chiriquí region or Azuero Peninsula
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Three dimensional representation of a human head with outstretched arms attached to each side of the head. The object may be the lid or top from a two-sectioned figural object, suggested by the two small perforations at the back of the head for its attachment to another piece. What ever the form of the lower section, it does not appear to be in the museum’s collection.
After about 1930, excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama. Between about 1950 and 1955, acquired from a private collection, San Jose, Costa Rica by Paul Pasher and, about 1955, entrusted by him to Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; April 1970, returned by Manuel Miranda Pinto to Paul Pasher, New York; 1970, sold by Paul Pasher to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; 1971, sold by Merrin Gallery to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 8, 1971)
NOTE: Before acquiring Paul Pasher's collection of Panamanian gold (accession nos. 1971.783-1971.1129 and 1972.940-1972.944) the MFA contacted the National Commission on Historical Archaeology and Monuments, Panama; the president of the Commission responded that no objections were raised to the acquisition.
Museum purchase with funds donated by Landon T. Clay