Jaffrey House, cupboard
Object Place: Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States
Overall: 318.1 x 171.5 x 49.5 cm (125 1/4 x 67 1/2 x 19 1/2 in.)
Lurie-Marks Gallery (Gallery 138)
House originally located on Daniel Street in Portsmouth, New Hampshire; built by George Jaffrey II (1682-1749). House descended to his son George Jaffrey III (1718-1801); and then to his grand-nephew, George (Jeffries) Jaffrey IV (1789-1856). The Goodrich family then purchased the house, and later in the nineteenth century sold or rented the south half to the Simes family. The house, then in disrepair, was sold at auction on September 24, 1919, and was purchased by Israel Sack, a furniture dealer. The Museum acquired the house and land from Mr. Sack in November 1919; removed two interiors (including this parlor) and a cupboard from a third room; structure was resold to a developer and the house was destroyed in the summer of 1920.
Henry Lillie Pierce Residuary Fund for Colonial Art and with contributions from Charles Hitchcock Tyler and Templeman Coolidge