Jar with two handles
Roman or Byzantine, Syro-Palestinian (Tyre, Phoenicia)
Late Imperial or Early Byzantine Period
4th or mid 4th–early 5th century A.D.
Height: 8 cm (3 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Glass, free-blown with applied handles and decoration
Not On View
A globular bodied jar with rounded sides tapering towards the neck; wide mouth with projecting bulge; vertical rim; two opposing coil handles applied at the edge of shoulder, attached to the edge of the rim and pressed on bead. Triple coil above applied zigzag trails around the body. Similar glass jugs are attributed to manufacture in late Roman-early Byzantine Syro-Palestine. According to the MFA Register of Glass, this jar is one of 43 pieces from the vicinity of Tyre in Phoenicia.
Colorless with green handles and blue-green decoration. Intact.
According to the MFA Register of Glass this is one of 43 pieces from the vicinity of Tyre in Phoenicia, brought to this country by Michel Farah and acquired by the MFA, January 3, 1893, for $ 800.00 (this amount is the total price for MFA 93.10-93.52)
Museum purchase with funds donated by contribution, and Everett Fund