Roman or Byzantine, Syro-Palestinian
Late Imperial or Early Byzantine Period
4th or second half of the 4th century–early 5th century
Ancient Glass (MFA), no. 58.
Height: 13 cm (5 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Glass, free-blown with applied handle and decoration
Not On View
A jug with a concave base; globular body; cylindrical neck; funnel mouth with wide lip and applied coil underneath rim; applied handle from shoulder to rim. Single coil around neck; blue coil and splatter zigzag decoration on body. Similar glass jugs are attributed to manufacture in late Roman-early Byzantine Syro-Palestine.
Transparent bluish glass with blue-green handle and decoration. Intact.
According to the MFA Register of Glass this is one of 43 pieces from the vicinity of Tyre in Phoenicia, brought to this country by Michel Farah and acquired by the MFA, January 3, 1893, for $ 800.00 (this amount is the total price for MFA 93.10-93.52)
Museum purchase with funds donated by contribution, and Everett Fund