Object Place: London, England
Length 60.5 cm (23 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
In C. Conoidal bore. Mahogany, varnished light brown. Ivory rings. Made in three parts: headjoint, bodyjoint, and footjoint with a finger-hole for the. right little finger. An adjustable cork with a threaded stem and ivory depth indicator; moved by means of the threaded head-cap. Elliptical embouchure and ten finger-holes; the hole nearest to the embouchure and covered by the left thumb is made in two circular segments, with a dividing bridge slightly inclined to accomodate the thumb. On the center-line of the fourth hole (counting from the foot-joint), and at an angle of 90 degrees to it, is a threaded hole stopped by a plug with a circular nut, which is prevented from rotating by an ivory eyelet with a small square-headed ivory set-screw.
Before 1900, made for Dr. Burghley, Camden Town, England; by 1916, acquired by Francis W. Galpin (1858-1945), Hatfield Regis, England; 1916, sold by Galpin to William Lindsey (1858-1922), Boston, Massachusetts; 1916, gift of William Lindsey, in memory of his daughter, Leslie Lindsey Mason, to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 5, 1916)
Leslie Lindsey Mason Collection