Las mugeres dan valor. (The women give courage); Fatales consequencias de la sangrienta guerra en España con Buonaparte. Y otros caprichos enfaticos [Disasters of War], plate 4.
Drawn and etched 1810–14; whole series first published posthumously 1863
Francisco Goya y Lucientes (Spanish, 1746–1828)
Harris 124, II; Delteil 123
Platemark: 15.7 x 20.7 cm (6 3/16 x 8 1/8 in.) Sheet: 26.2 x 35.5 cm (10 5/16 x 14 in.)
Medium or Technique
Etching, burnished aquatint, lavis (tonal etching), drypoint, and burnisher; posthumous trial proof
Not On View
Red/brown ink, plate-tone, no bevel.
Posthumous trial proof, with numbers, before letters of title, with aquatint and lavis burnished from edges of plate (H. II).
Mounted in an album of posthumous trial proofs, printed 1862; bound in brown marbled (?) calf with gold letters and decoration. On spine: “LOS/ DESASTRES/ DE/ LA GUERRA/ POR/ F. GOYA” and below, “MADRID/ 1810”. On front cover: Decorative cartouche with the letters: C A N C F O R W A R D. On back cover: Gold decoration of interwoven circles with Latin mottos (?), surrounded by “NON · MORTALE · QUOD · OPTO”. 42.5 x 34.5 x 5.5 cm.
The album sheets are red tipped. The album paper is cream wove.
Inside front cover is large bookplate of William Stirling, the sticker of Frances Hofer and various cataloguing notes in graphite that continue onto first flyleaf (the notes are by P. Hofer and E. A. Sayre and others).
Title page, printed vertically:
LOS DESASTRES DE LA GUERRA / COLECCION DE LAMINAS / INVENTADAS Y GRABADAS AL AGUAFUERTE. / POR / DON FRANCISCO GOYA. / MADRID / 1810
Tipped in on next two fly leaves are notes by William Stirling (1864) and Archibald Stirling (1925) on blue writing paper.
Engraved u.l. 4; 1.1:34 or 54(very faint); in graphite, u.r. inside pm, 4 below image, outside pm., Las mugeres dan valor.
Charles Blanc; bought for 20 pounds from Colnaghi, April 1863 by William Stirling, Keir (later Stirling-Maxwell); Archibald Stirling; Mr. and Mrs. Philip Hofer, Cambridge, MA; purchased from R. M. Light, Boston, June 12, 1974 (original vote June 13, 1973).
Museum purchase with funds donated by Miss Ingeborg Hollwoeger and by exchange from the Hezekiah E. Bowles Fund