Mariko: Famous Tea Shop (Mariko, meibutsu chamise), second state, from the series Fifty-three Stations of the Tôkaidô Road (Tôkaidô gojûsan tsugi no uchi), also known as the First Tôkaidô or Great Tôkaidô
「東海道五十三次之内 鞠子 名物茶屋」
Ukiyo-e shûka 14 (1981), Hiroshige list, p. 245, horizontal ôban #55.21
Horizontal ôban; 23.4 x 35.7 cm (9 3/16 x 14 1/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper
Not On View
No. 21 in the series, later state with corrected title; co-published by Hôeidô and Senkakudô.
First state: 11.26114, *11.38905 (deaccessioned in 2012), *11.45567 (deaccessioned in 2012)
Second state: 11.2254, *11.17409 (deaccessioned in 2012), 11.30162, 11.30193, 11.41820, 21.5033, 2009.2411.21
Censor's seal: (kiwame; in left margin, cut off of this impression)
February 1913, purchased by William S. and John T. Spaulding from J. Clarence Webster Collection (Blanchard sale); December 1, 1921, given by William S. and John T. Spaulding to the Museum.
William S. and John T. Spaulding Collection