Diameter: 39.4 cm (15 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Hafner ware. Facing busts, flower design between, date above. Border of triangles in blue, green and yellow. Brown back.
By 1900, Count Hans Johann Nepomuk von Wilczek (b. 1837 - d. 1922), Kreuzenstein, Austria [see note 1]. By 1959, Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 2]; December 30, 1959, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1960, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 14, 1960)
 See Karl Masner, "Zur schlesischen Keramik der Renaissancezeit," Jahrbuch des Schlesischen Museums für Kunstgewerbe und Altertümer, 1 (1900): 132 and Alfred Walcher Ritter von Moltheim, "Bunte Hafnerkeramik der Renaissance in den Österreichischen Ländern" (Vienna, 1906), p. 4, pl. 1.
 According to a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to Hanns Swarzenski of the MFA (January 2, 1960; in MFA curatorial file), this plate came from the collection of Oscar Bondy. A further note from Wilson to the MFA (received January 4, 1960) asks that Bondy's name not be included in the object label, suggesting that the provenance information was uncertain. Attempts to identify the plate in inventories of Bondy's collection have not been successful.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson