Minakuchi, from the series The Fifty-three Stations of the Tôkaidô Road (Tôkaidô gojûsan tsugi no uchi), also known as the Gyôsho Tôkaidô
about 1841–44 (Tenpô 12–Kôka 1)
Ukiyo-e shûka 14 (1981), Hiroshige list, p. 242, horizontal aiban #5.51
Horizontal aiban; 22.2 x 33.4 cm (8 3/4 x 13 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper
Not On View
No. 51 in the series.
Publisher’s mark in black, no censor’s seal: 06.1840, 21.9368
Censor’s seal in color block, no publisher’s mark: 11.39979, 21.9367
Censor's seal: Hama
No blockcutter's mark
By 1911, purchased by William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850–d. 1926), Boston [see note 1]; 1911, gift of Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 19, 2005)
 Much of Bigelow's collection of Asian art was formed during his residence in Japan between 1882 and 1889, although he also made acquisitions in Europe and the United States. Bigelow deposited many of these objects at the MFA in 1890 before donating them to the Museum's collection at later dates.
William Sturgis Bigelow Collection