Requires Photography

Newcastle in Emlyn

La Teivy, à Newcastle in Emlyn (Pays de Galles)

August 17, 1864
Sir Francis Seymour Haden (English, 1818–1910)

Catalogue Raisonné

Harrington (1910) 62, First; Drake 55; Schneiderman (1983) 57, II


Platemark: 11.2 × 14.8 cm (4 7/16 × 5 13/16 in.) Sheet: 15 × 18.1 cm (5 7/8 × 7 1/8 in.)

Accession Number


Medium or Technique

Etching with drypoint

Not On View


Europe, Prints and Drawings



In the north-west of Carmarthenshire is Newcastle Emlyn (Castell Newydd) [Wales, set in some of the loveliest scenery of the country, on the upper Teifi. It is a thriving little town right on the borders of Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire, with excellent fishing and many delightful walks. The only surviving relic of its long history is the ruined castle above the river, which superseded an earlier Norman castle, of which no trace remains, although it was apparently on the Cardiganshire side of the river, in the old borough of Adpar (Trefhedyn).
This plate and the following six (58. House of the Smith, 59. Kenarth, 60. Kilgaren Castle, 61. A Child’s Head, 62. Cardigan Bridge, 63. Cardigan Road) were all drawn on the same day during a walk that appears to have been from Newcastle Emlyn to Adpar, through Cenarth and Cilgerran to Cardigan along the banks of the Teifi River, a noted salmon stream emptying into Cardigan Bay. This is a view looking north at the town and castle, though it may possibly be from a location slightly more to the east, therefore looking northwest. Gustave Bourcard states that the square house is that of Benjamin Davis, see in House of the Smith (No. 58).
I. The river landscape panorama etched in; two cows lie on the promontory of the bank. Before the square house of the smith has been depicted. With the annotation Newcastle in Emlyn Seymour Haden (u.l.)
II. Published in Études à l’eau-forte (No. XX). The square house on the hill etched in.
Schneiderman (1983) p. 157.


In plate: u.r. Newcastle in Emlyn Seymour Haden


Henry F. Sewall, N.Y.; date acquired: 1897; accessioned October 21, 1897

Credit Line

Harvey D. Parker Collection—Harvey Drury Parker Fund