No. 25 - Nissaka: Mount Mugen, the Night-crying Stone, and Sayo Mountain Pass (Mugenzan, Yonaki-ishi, Sayo-no-nakayama), from the series The Tôkaidô Road - The Fifty-three Stations (Tôkaidô - Gojûsan tsugi no uchi)
「東海道 二十五 五十三次之内 日阪 むけん山 夜なき石 さよの中山」
Ukiyo-e shûka 14 (1981), Hiroshige list, p. 236, horizontal chûban #23.25
Horizontal chûban; 17.8 x 24 cm (7 x 9 7/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper
Not On View
Station no. 26 in the usual order. Since Shimada (no. 24) and Kanaya (no. 25) are combined in one design in this series, all numbers from 25 on are one less than the usual number for that station.
MFA impressions: 06.1449, 11.26190, 21.9095, 2009.5010.24
Censors' seals: Hama, Kinugasa
No blockcutter's mark
November 1912, purchased by William S. and John T. Spaulding from Frank Lloyd Wright; December 1, 1921, given by William S. and John T. Spaulding to the Museum.
William S. and John T. Spaulding Collection