Octagonal dish from the Christie-Miller service
Made at Meissen Manufactory (Germany)
Object Place: Meissen, Germany
Diameter: 40 cm (15 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Hard-paste porcelain with colored enamel and luster decoration, gilding
Angelica Lloyd Russell Gallery (Gallery 142)
Octagonal dish from the Christie-Miller service, the center painted with merchants and ladies standing among boatmen and peasants on the loggia oa a palace, with bales in the foreground and boatmen busily unloading a ship to the left, in the right middle distance a magnificent palace at the water’s edge, the puce vignettes with quay scenes and figures in landscapes, the colored vignettes with fine German views of castles and churches, with figures in the foreground.
The Christie-Miller Service, named for the English family that purchased it in 1840, is decorated with views of Italian and German castles, harbors, and landscapes, both real and imaginary, and based on engravings published in 1681 and 1682 by the Augsburg printmaker Melchior Küssel.
Crossed swords mark in underglaze blue, Pressnummer 22.
1840s, possibly sold by a French noble family to Samuel Christie-Miller (b. 1811 – d. 1889), London [see note 1]; by descent within the family; July 7, 1970, estate of Samuel Christie-Miller sale, Sotheby & Co., London, lot 43, to The Antique Porcelain Company for Edward M. Pflueger (b. 1905 - d. 1997) and Kiyi Powers Pflueger (b. 1915 - d. 2008), New York; 2000, bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 20, 2000)
 In “Fragile Diplomacy: Meissen Porcelain for European Courts ca. 1710-63” (New Haven, 2007), Maureen Cassidy-Geiger suggests that the Miller-Christie service may have been acquired by the Christie-Millers directly or indirectly from a French noble family.
Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection. Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger, Frank B. Bemis Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, and Frederick L. Jack Fund